LGBTQAI in CapNY
If you are queer and you are considering moving to the Capital Region or just recently started living here, here are some stats to consider:
- Albany ranks 66% above the national average for people who self-identify as gay or lesbian (U.S. Census, 2000).
- Human Rights Campaign gave Albany a perfect score on its 2017 Municipal Equality Index, which takes into account non-discrimination laws, hate crimes, pro-equality legislation and a number of other pro-LGBTQ+ indicators.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region is the oldest continuously operating LGBTQ center in the country. Based in Albany, the Pride Center has been meeting the diverse needs of the LGBTQ community since 1970.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region hosts the Capital Pride Festival, one of the largest celebrations of pride in Upstate New York every June.
Resources & Organizations
full-service restaurants (more than the U.S. average)
breweries across 8 counties (NYC only has 24!)
cideries, distilleries, wineries, & meaderies
CapNY Food & Drink at Your Fingertips
- A Little Getaway: Tiny Home Resorts in CapNYThe beautiful backdrops here in CapNY are the perfect place for an escape from everyday life. Nestle up among the Catskill mountains, discover solitude just minutes from downtown Albany, or explore the rolling green hills of the Hudson Valley withContinue reading “A Little Getaway: Tiny Home Resorts in CapNY”
- Veteran Resources & Support in AlbanyAlbany is not only the capital of the Empire State but also a vibrant hub of support and resources for those who have served their country in the armed forces. With a deep appreciation for the sacrifices and contributions ofContinue reading “Veteran Resources & Support in Albany”
- Cohoes: A CapNY City The Nation is Watching“One groundbreaking achievement that stands out is the floating solar array on the water reservoir, a project that makes Cohoes the first in the nation to generate 100% municipal electricity while offering 40% surplus energy to the school district. ThisContinue reading “Cohoes: A CapNY City The Nation is Watching”