LGBTQAI in CapNY
If you are queer and you are considering moving to the Capital Region or just recently started living here, here are some stats to consider:
- Albany ranks 66% above the national average for people who self-identify as gay or lesbian (U.S. Census, 2000).
- Human Rights Campaign gave Albany a perfect score on its 2017 Municipal Equality Index, which takes into account non-discrimination laws, hate crimes, pro-equality legislation and a number of other pro-LGBTQ+ indicators.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region is the oldest continuously operating LGBTQ center in the country. Based in Albany, the Pride Center has been meeting the diverse needs of the LGBTQ community since 1970.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region hosts the Capital Pride Festival, one of the largest celebrations of pride in Upstate New York every June.
Resources & Organizations
full-service restaurants (more than the U.S. average)
breweries across 8 counties (NYC only has 24!)
cideries, distilleries, wineries, & meaderies
CapNY Food & Drink at Your Fingertips
- The New Tech Valley: 5 CapNY Companies With Global ImpactMeet the amazing tech companies that make CapNY one of the nation’s fastest growing metro areas for manufacturing jobs! We’ve Come a Long Way In the late 1990s, under the moniker “Tech Valley,” NY’s Capital Region committed to competing withContinue reading “The New Tech Valley: 5 CapNY Companies With Global Impact”
- Six Rising Stars in the CapNY Fashion IndustryIf you ask, or simply look, around – it wouldn’t shock you to learn there hasn’t been much of a fashion scene here in the Upstate New York area. But if you sought out any of the up-and-comers who areContinue reading “Six Rising Stars in the CapNY Fashion Industry”
- Five CapNY Artisanal Foods You Must Try!CapNY is every foodie’s dream! We have an abundance of farm-to-table restaurants, nationally known farms, and incredibly unique food producers. Read on to learn more about five artisanal food makers that have some serious CapNY flare…CAUTION, we recommend reading thisContinue reading “Five CapNY Artisanal Foods You Must Try!”