LGBTQAI in CapNY
If you are queer and you are considering moving to the Capital Region or just recently started living here, here are some stats to consider:
- Albany ranks 66% above the national average for people who self-identify as gay or lesbian (U.S. Census, 2000).
- Human Rights Campaign gave Albany a perfect score on its 2017 Municipal Equality Index, which takes into account non-discrimination laws, hate crimes, pro-equality legislation and a number of other pro-LGBTQ+ indicators.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region is the oldest continuously operating LGBTQ center in the country. Based in Albany, the Pride Center has been meeting the diverse needs of the LGBTQ community since 1970.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region hosts the Capital Pride Festival, one of the largest celebrations of pride in Upstate New York every June.
Resources & Organizations
full-service restaurants (more than the U.S. average)
breweries across 8 counties (NYC only has 24!)
cideries, distilleries, wineries, & meaderies
CapNY Food & Drink at Your Fingertips
- Making the Move from North Carolina to CapNY: A Career Transplant StoryIf you follow Forbes on social media, you might’ve noticed that they recently posted a study by Niche that ranked Albany as the #4 best places in country to be a young professional. CapNY is booming with potential, opportunity, &Continue reading “Making the Move from North Carolina to CapNY: A Career Transplant Story”
- CapNY Healthcare Professionals Taking the LeadThe Healthcare Cluster lays the foundation for CapNY’s vibrant economy, accounting for one in eight jobs regionwide. Major employers within the cluster include three major hospital systems as well as several health insurance companies. One of those hospital systems isContinue reading “CapNY Healthcare Professionals Taking the Lead”
- 5 CapNY Family Owned & Operated Drive-In Movie TheatersBefore there was cable TV and the internet (my own kids can’t imagine such a primitive time) families went out together to enjoy a movie in a car, packed full of kids. Sometimes the neighbor’s kids were mixed in theContinue reading “5 CapNY Family Owned & Operated Drive-In Movie Theaters”