LGBTQAI in CapNY
If you are queer and you are considering moving to the Capital Region or just recently started living here, here are some stats to consider:
- Albany ranks 66% above the national average for people who self-identify as gay or lesbian (U.S. Census, 2000).
- Human Rights Campaign gave Albany a perfect score on its 2017 Municipal Equality Index, which takes into account non-discrimination laws, hate crimes, pro-equality legislation and a number of other pro-LGBTQ+ indicators.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region is the oldest continuously operating LGBTQ center in the country. Based in Albany, the Pride Center has been meeting the diverse needs of the LGBTQ community since 1970.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region hosts the Capital Pride Festival, one of the largest celebrations of pride in Upstate New York every June.
Resources & Organizations
full-service restaurants (more than the U.S. average)
breweries across 8 counties (NYC only has 24!)
cideries, distilleries, wineries, & meaderies
CapNY Food & Drink at Your Fingertips
- A Night at the Ballpark with the Tri-City ValleyCatsWhat does summer fun look like to us? Hot dogs, beer, baseball, and good company. And this is why spending a night with our local minor league baseball team, the Tri-City ValleyCats, is the way to go. Whether you’re lookingContinue reading “A Night at the Ballpark with the Tri-City ValleyCats”
- 5 CapNY Creative Side Hustlers You Need to Know AboutIn the last year COVID-19 has drastically altered the way we approach life and the ways in which we inhabit the world. For some it has made them more cautious, feeling the precarity of each passing moment. Others have becomeContinue reading “5 CapNY Creative Side Hustlers You Need to Know About”
- 5 CapNY Queer-Owned Creative BusinessesMeet five of the Capital Region’s most passionate and exciting creative businesses, run by Makers, Designers, Writers, Performers, and Culinary Connoisseurs. Each is bringing personal — and inclusive — perspectives to the creative economy in Upstate New York. Bold StrokesContinue reading “5 CapNY Queer-Owned Creative Businesses”