LGBTQAI in CapNY
If you are queer and you are considering moving to the Capital Region or just recently started living here, here are some stats to consider:
- Albany ranks 66% above the national average for people who self-identify as gay or lesbian (U.S. Census, 2000).
- Human Rights Campaign gave Albany a perfect score on its 2017 Municipal Equality Index, which takes into account non-discrimination laws, hate crimes, pro-equality legislation and a number of other pro-LGBTQ+ indicators.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region is the oldest continuously operating LGBTQ center in the country. Based in Albany, the Pride Center has been meeting the diverse needs of the LGBTQ community since 1970.
- The Pride Center of the Capital Region hosts the Capital Pride Festival, one of the largest celebrations of pride in Upstate New York every June.
Resources & Organizations
full-service restaurants (more than the U.S. average)
breweries across 8 counties (NYC only has 24!)
cideries, distilleries, wineries, & meaderies
CapNY Food & Drink at Your Fingertips
- CapNY Spring Weekend Itinerary: Albany CountyItching for a weekend getaway or staycation this spring? Book a trip to Albany for must-see museums, craft beverage experiences and much more! With blooming tulips and blue skies, it is a picture-perfect time of year to visit Albany. ScrollContinue reading “CapNY Spring Weekend Itinerary: Albany County”
- 5 Romantic Spots in CapNYValentine’s Day is in the rearview, but why can’t we celebrate love all year long? No matter the season, the Capital Region has some of the most romantic spots for a date night with your special someone! Schenectady Central ParkContinue reading “5 Romantic Spots in CapNY”
- From Westchester to CapNY, A Transplant StoryGabby Lichtenberg is a perfect example of the power of the CapNY network. And that network is open to anyone, whether you’re a lifetime resident or find your way here as a transplant. Making the Move Lichtenberg, 37, and herContinue reading “From Westchester to CapNY, A Transplant Story”